First post

Hello, welcome to my first blog post!

I have three boys - W aged 4, T aged 3 and A, 7 months. It’s never quiet, often slightly chaotic and we are generally a little bit late for everything. We’ve recently moved a bit further west to Hampshire and my eldest started school in September. Life feels surprisingly different to this time a year ago, and not just because of the logistics of looking after three boys! We are still adjusting to a life dictated by school runs and term dates but are enjoying the benefits of living in a much smaller, friendlier place. 

I have been pondering starting a blog for a while now for a few reasons, not least to give my brain something to think about.
At the moment my days are spent making sure everyone else is dressed and fed and where they need to be. My husband and I joke that my objectives for each year of maternity leave are ‘everyone fed and no-one dead’ - obviously a very good thing to aim for but I fancied giving myself an extra, stretch objective this time round. I don’t plan to return to work after this stint of maternity leave so need something I can call my own to keep me sane. It might stop my CV being completely blank for a few years as well!

Since school I’ve harboured a secret desire to give writing a go and see if I’m any good at it as numbers and maths have always been my strong point. After I had my second son I started off writing things down with an old-school notebook and pen but it’s never quite in the right place at the right time, whereas the ‘notes’ section on my phone is normally close to hand and much more easily converted into a blog post. I’m hoping this can act as a record for the boys (and me) as they grow up, as well as showing my husband what we get up to while he is toiling away at work.

And when everything gets a bit much I find writing things down (and hopefully finding the humour in some mad situations) makes everything seem a bit more manageable. 

As for what the blog might cover, it’s going to be more on the light-hearted side of things. I read quite a lot of really moving blog posts that reduce me to tears but I don’t think there’s going to be much of that here. I plan to include stories of what we have been up to (normally centred around things haven’t quite gone to plan, despite my best efforts!), some quick snapshots of our days, and some thoughts on various aspects of parenting. I might also get on to adding some of our crafty activities, not that I’ve ever considered myself particularly arty but I am getting pretty good at finding instructions and inspiration online and the boys are normally happy with the results. Having said that, I suspect I will look back on my early posts and wonder what I was doing so all this may change as time goes by! 

Comments

Instagram