A post of two halves, or maybe two-thirds

The trouble with having more than one child is that when one of them seems to be on the up, someone else is having a tricky phase. I have been tentatively saying that things with W seem to be a bit calmer - he still has his moments but we seem to be dealing with school much better this term. I think I am generally feeling calmer and more accepting of my lot as well which helps.

And at the same time T is having one of his three year old phases.
We had some pretty impressive moaning all the way home from school last Monday, including 'my legs are too warm' and 'I haven't got enough air' (one I think he has picked up from W). By the afternoon school run I had had enough and got the double buggy out for the first time this term. Putting on shoes seems to be one of our major flash points currently. He is perfectly capable of putting his own shoes on (albeit not always on the right feet) but very rarely chooses to do so, particularly when we are trying to get out the door for a fixed deadline like school. The rational part of me knows that I should just put them on for him. The emotional part of me finds it really frustrating and I get cross and start making non-credible threats like next time I won't buy him flashing shoes (unlikely when you're buying small boy shoes in Clarks).

I'm not so good at dealing with the grumpiness from T. I really miss his cheerfulness when he's like this and consequentially give him a much harder time than I give W, which isn't fair. I forget how small he is still until he looks at me with those big brown eyes and I realise I just need to be loving and patient.

Fast forward a few days (the last week has been a bit busy although I'm not sure what with) and when I sit down to finish this I am regretting my comment about things being calmer with W. Three weeks into term and this week seems to have completely knobbled him. It is not helped with everyone waking up early with the lighter mornings. His eczema feels out of control again for the first time in years and the GP was hopeless earlier in the week. (I always feel they view our appointment as a way to make up some of their late running and start trying to usher us out the door as soon as we've arrived). Friday was the first time in ages that I really didn't want to drop him off at school and cried most of the way home. I will say more about his eczema another time but at the moment it makes me feel so powerless - we have many creams and lotions, none of which seem to help and most of which he really doesn't like you putting on.

Comments

Instagram