Another fortnight of tuff tray play

I've been posting our tuff tray efforts on my Instagram page but thought I would do a round-up of the recent ones here. It's fair to say we haven't found another one as universally successful as the playdough cupcakes (and we ended up going back to that one earlier this week when T had a friend over) but they have all been played with to some extent. A is definitely enjoying being able to reach the tray and get hold of everything. As I have no plans to send him to nursery as I'm not going back to work this time I feel it's good to make a bit more effort with his sensory play!

Our 'tuff tray Tuesday' a couple of weeks ago involved making little sailing boats from washing up sponges, skewers and paper sails. This one went down well although I hadn't thought through the felt tip decoration on the sails and it washed off as soon as the boats fell over on the tray!


Coloured ice cubes always go down well - pink lego men, red puzzle pieces and blue fish. A enjoyed sucking on them and pushing them round the tray. The older two played a bit and then realised they could bash them with the scoops to break them up so spent the rest of the time doing that! I've been using food colouring for the ice cubes but think I will investigate liquid watercolours at some point in case you can get stronger colours.


Next up were the rainbow oats, that A and I made on one of our days together. I thought these were really pleasing to look at in their stripes - was a little disappointed by how quickly the boys mixed all the colours together. They have now gone into a tub in their mixed up state to be used again - some things are possible to sort back into their colours at the end of the day but oats are not!


This week's tuff tray Tuesday had a vaguely educational theme, with magnetic letters and some of W's tricky words from school. W was more interested in getting a whiteboard pen and writing the letters on the board, rather than finding the letters on the tray. I put the rainbow oats underneath to make it look pretty but it turned out they also served a purpose as it was almost impossible to pick the letters up with the tongs or spoon if they were flat on the tray.

Comments

Instagram