Autumn seasons table


Our seasons table was a little unloved over the summer but now we're into autumn it's getting a lot more attention. Autumn is my favourite time of year for craft - I love the colours and being able to bring lots of things in from outside to use inside. And with the nights picking in and the boys less willing to spend time in the garden there is more time to fill after school.

It is a mix of things that featured last year, our seasons table staples and a couple of new things for this autumn. As usual, I had plans to do a couple more things that I haven't got around to yet but there are a few more weeks until the brown of November and Martinmas takes over so there is still time. I discovered that my wool stores can cope with the reds, oranges and yellows of autumn but I have very little in the way of brown or any green that isn't bottle green!


I made the little felt dragon one evening last year, after admiring some felt animals in a catalogue. I didn't feel I could justify buying one so had a go at making it myself and, for once, it turned out pretty well! I've got plans (and have bought the felt) for a couple more animals for the seasons table this year so hopefully some more will appear.


Our gnomies and chunks of wood feature for most of the year, although their hats change colour! I found the knitting pattern on Pinterest ages ago although the link has now since disappeared so I had to guess the stitches for the most recent batch and some of them are a little large.


The wool cobweb is new for this year. I made a very fiddly one with skewers and gold cotton last year which took ages and looks very fun but is definitely not one-year old proof. A is showing an increasing amount of interest in the seasons table now so I decided to make a less delicate version this year that shouldn't take too long to repair if he decides to destroy it one day. The jazzy conker spider to go with it was T's handiwork.


The witch silhouette is another thing I had seen in a catalogue and am too cheap to buy so had a go myself. Any excuse to play with my circle paper cutter!


The leaves are another idea I saw on Pinterest - definitely back into my crochet, managed to produce them with wool I already had in a couple of days. Next year I might try to add some different shape leaves to the collection.

We've now added a little pumpkin but I think that will be our only nod to Halloween this year. I always look longingly at the Halloween figures for the celebration ring but haven't invested in any so far. In a couple of weeks I guess the colours will need to fade to browns and then to whites ready for winter.

Comments

Instagram